Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Which RENT is the right RENT?

Got my DVD of Rent!Filmed Live on Broadway yesterday! Ali and I had seen this in theatres last fall. What they did was film the final performance of the musical on Broadway using I think 10 or 12 HD cameras. Ali and I were blown away by it in the theatre, and it’s the one new DVD of 2009 that I didn’t have to sell other DVD’s in order to buy. I love this musical and when Chris Columbus’s film version came out a few years ago I was sorely disappointed, but felt that at least now there was a record of it that I could pull out and see the songs performed. But this is what we really wanted, I can’t imagine I will ever again watch the Columbus film. But…. I can’t sell the DVD, why? Well I’ll tell you I didn’t watch the Musical all the way through last night but I did view all the special features and they like the special features on the DVD are really good, but they are different. The documentary on the movie DVD is so good and tells you so much background on the play and how it started and Jonathan Larson that I know I’ll want to revisit that, too bad they didn’t carry the special features from the movie DVD over.
So if you have never seen RENT on stage and want the experience do not watch the movie DVD watch the Filmed Live on Broadway DVD. The only thing better than seeing it live is seeing it in the theatre like this, and since that’s no longer an options seeing this on DVD at home is the next best thing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always hated the ending of rent. Consider me a purist. The alt ending on theatrical release is more satisfying. Excited centu the new release. But can some cast members move on? If we make spider man a musical, cant we make wicked a films? PLEASE?

Dunkproductions said...

Still need to see Wicked. Rent is one of my favorites and I'm so happy to be able to watch it like it was when I first fell in love with it on stage. I think my problem with the film version was that I'd already made the film in my head, and that's not what it looked like. Tracie Thoms was a great addition to the cast on thee film and I was happy to see her reprising the role in the Filmed Live on Broadway version.

Dunkproductions said...

p.s. thanks for commenting Darcy

D-Dog said...

I want to comment! I want to comment!

Ahem, I like this musical and want Wicked made into a film as well. It will be, I assure you. However, it will probably be with Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez (which is wrong because we all know Miranda Cosgrove is much better suited to play Elphaba because she already looks like a witch).

I'm creepy.