Monday, February 9, 2009

BAFTA, .... excuse me.


First of all Kate Winslet won Best Actress, and for the right film. Unlike The American version in England you can be nominated within the same category more than once. I was worried Kate would split the vote between Revolutionary Road and The reader, but despite that possibility she prevailed. This is probably the one award at the BAFTA's and the Oscars that I am rooting for the most. Everything else to be honest it more or less comes down to a couple of nominees I don't want to win. Probably highest on that list was Mama Mia, nominated for Outstanding British Film. I cannot stand that film and I was really rooting for it not to win, and it didn't.

Otherwise I gotta say it's a year of a lot of pretty good films and few great ones and the great ones are not even up for Best Picture. At the BAFTA's Slumdog Millionaire cleaned up with seven wins, I expect it will do the same in two weeks at the Oscars, and it's a good movie, no it's a very good movie, but it's no Wall-E or The Dark Knight. The awards were fun to watch especially as Alex seemed very interested but really he was disappointed that Slumdog and Benjamin Button won everything that the Dark Knight or Quantum of Solace were up for. But then that's what makes the awards fun to watch, having something to root for. And the more I think about it, this year, there's not a lot to root for. Other than Kate Winslet that is, she's always rootable.

No comments: